10 monument in Milano
The Duomo of Milano
The construction of the Duomo began in 1386 in the place where the Basilicas stood. The Duomo of Milan is the largest and most complex Gothic building in Italy, made of white pink marble from the Candoglia quarries, extending over an area of 11,700 meters. square. The main spire reaches a height of 108.5 meters. On the top of the latter is the statue of the Madonna. Impressive is the abundance of decoration: spiers, pinnacles, an immense wealth of statues inside and outside, sculptures in cornices and large windows, decorations. The interior has a Latin cross plan, a deep choir and a polygonal apse. The style is mainly late-Gothic with the addition of classical elements dating back to the period of the Counter-Reformation. The aisles are 5 and the central one is really wide, the height does not make one think of the oppressive Gothic style. many and very high historiated glass windows are magnificent. In some the single window tells a scene and all together a story while other scenes are composed of six or even nine windows.
Arch of Peace
The arch is a suitable monument to celebrate a wedding,
the triumphal arch is located at the beginning of Corso Sempione in Milan, today it is located in what is now Corso Venezia, in fact this work attracts many tourists. The Arch of Peace acts as a backdrop to the life that takes place in the neighborhood of the same name. Happy pedestrian island, characterized by luxury buildings on one side and the wonderful "green lung" of the Sempione Park on the other, the area where the "gateway" of the city is located is a destination not to be missed for those visiting Milan.
The Littoria Tower was commissioned by the Municipality of Milan which, by the will of Mussolini. In its original configuration the tower was served by a modern lift of the Stigler mechanical workshops with a capacity of 500 kg which allowed to reach the top in 30 seconds. On the top a small restaurant that housed twelve tables and the kitchen.
The tower has a truncated-pyramid shape with a hexagonal section, and is built entirely of Dalmine steel tubes, made at the base of the Tower, a metal supporting structure, inspired in modularity by the elements of the fascinating monumental work of art, of which he wants to be natural and technological evolution.
Basilica of Sant 'Ambrogio
The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio is one of the oldest churches in Milan and is located in Piazza Sant'Ambrogio. Today it represents not only a monument of the paleochristian and medieval age, but also a fundamental point of Milanese history and of the Ambrosian Church. Built between 379 and 386 at the behest of Bishop Ambrogio himself, who dedicated it to the martyr saints buried in it. The name of the church became "Sant'Ambrogio" on the death of the founding bishop. The basilica is preceded by a large four-sided portico, within which there is a clear view of the large gabled façade and the two bell towers, called "dei Monaci" and "dei Canonici". The interior has a basilical plan with a vast women's gallery on the side aisles.In the presbytery, under the octagonal lantern, is the famous Golden Altar, of the magister phaber.The apse is on two levels: in the lower one, lower than the nave, is the crypt with the bodies of the Saints Ambrogio.
Once Milan had a castle that probably served in times of war, home of the nobles and to symbolize the power of the main houses. Today many of these castles unfortunately are no longer as they were then because they were destroyed by assaults or abandoned, but many are still wonderful and can be visited. The castle had a purely defensive function when they were started in the second half of the fourteenth century, it was the Visconti family, lords of Milan. , to request its construction from the Palazzo Ducale, which we now know as the Royal Palace next to the Duomo. Today the castle is home to civic museums and since the end of the nineteenth century it has housed one of the largest art collections in Milan. It is home to civic museums and since the end of the nineteenth century it has housed one of the largest art collections in Milan.
The church of San Gottardo in Corte
The Church of San Gottardo in Corte was built around the year 1336 by order of Azzone Visconti, lord of Milan and initially dedicated to the Virgin Mary. We find near the famous reddish hexagonal bell tower, also known as the tower of the hours because there it is the presence of the clock.
Together with the apse, the bell tower is one of the remains of the Visconti court church. Inside the Chesa is preserved a fragment of a fresco detached from the base of the bell tower, which depicts a crucifixion by an unknown author. The plan of the church consists of an elongated hall consisting of a single nave of three bays, the last of which narrows to make room for the sacristy. The apse ends with the polygonal presbytery, covered by an octagonal dome with lantern and the three polychrome windows that give light to the environment.
La Rotonda della Besana
La Rotonda della Besana is one of the most original works created in the eighteenth century in Milan. it is a church around which a four-arm circular red brick building with a central octagon has been created. In the past it was a cemetery but today it is an exhibition venue. The style of the late Baroque monument. The arcade, formed by four exedras, shows an undulating course, full of suggestive views, with a succession of cross vaults, which cover the open arches.
This building is the old seat of the stock exchange and was inaugurated in 1932. The monument has a classical facade in white marble interspersed with four majestic columns that support the triangular tympanum. Eight high-relief sculptures, placed at the feet and on the top of the columns, represent allegorical figures and attenuate the austerity of the façade. bargaining. At its base there is a circular fountain made with blue and gold mosaic tiles.
The Litta palace
The Palazzo Litta, now the headquarters of the Archival Superintendency for Lombardy. Inside it is possible to admire a seventeenth-century courtyard, two eighteenth-century staircases and baroque facades, gardens and nineteenth-century buildings. The entrance, characterized by the imposing doorway with the two telamons on the sides that support the balcony, allows access to the porticoed courtyard, the scissor-shaped grand staircase, instead, was created by Carlo Giuseppe Merlo and allows access to the noble floors and the various rooms that can still be visited today.
The palace was built in 1600, first patrician residence, it became the property of the Municipality of Milan in the mid-nineteenth century; today it houses the Cinema Museum, the Greenhouse Workshops and some annual exhibitions.
Inside Palazzo Dugnani you can admire the beautiful frescoes on the walls of the rooms created by Ferdinando Porta, by Gian Battista Tiepolo and by artists of the Venetian School of the eighteenth century.
5 monument in the small contry in Milano
In the same square, on the right side, begins the Via Rocca which with a short climb leads to the top of a hill - Colle di Santa Eufemia - dominated by the Rocca, a fortress of fourteenth-century origin. Going through the Decumano route. Further up, there is a massive tower that seems to have been built just to guard and is the heart of the visibility of Bergamo.
The castle of Brescia
The castle of Brescia is a medieval monument located a short distance from the historic center, it is a fortress that exploits the position perched on the Cidneo hill to control the city.
Although the traces of its fortified settlements date back to the Bronze Age, the main building was built during the Middle Ages. From the castle, you can enjoy a suggestive view of the city and also of the surrounding valleys and is surrounded by a park.
The Duomo of Modena
The Duomo of Modena is among the major monuments of Romanesque culture in Europe, recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage of Humanity.
The Duomo was founded on the initiative of the various social classes of the city, as an affirmation of the civic, cultural and religious values of the emerging community. The architect Lanfranco and the sculptor Wiligelmo created the cathedral in a synthesis between ancient culture and the new Lombard art, creating a fundamental model for the Romanesque civilization. From the end of 1100 until the fourteenth century the site was continued by the Campione Masters, Lombard sculptors and architects from Campione.
Piazza del Duomo in Parma
Piazza del Duomo in Parma is one of the most beautiful squares in Italy and perhaps in the world. In a harmonious and perfectly preserved whole, the Duomo, the Baptistery and the Vescovile Palace. The Duomo is considered the most beautiful example of Lombard Romanesque, the other protagonist of the square is the Baptistery the exterior of the Baptistery is in pink Verona marble , octagonal in shape and finally we find the Episcopal Palace
In Pavia there are many monuments to think of the Basilica of San Michele Maggiore, just about forty kilometers from Milan is Pavia, the Basilica of San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro.Among the prominent religious buildings is not only the Basilica of San Pietro in Lombard Romanesque style, considered the prototype of many medieval churches in the city. Its structure is complex because it is the result of stratified construction phases.